The Back Room
Updated: Aug 6, 2020
The Book Shop's art books and photography gallery is in the back of the store in a room that
was first used as a portrait studio by John Haarer and his sons after he finished his building in 1888. The Haarers photographed the German immigrants to Ann Arbor and they later
became investors and opened a savings bank. In our time, we display fine art, architecture, music, and documentary photographs from 1870 to 1930 in this room: original Edward Curtis portraits of natives west of the Mississippi and images from Alfred Stieglitz's Camera Work, which he published from 1903 to 1917. It has been a peaceful room for our customers and visitors.
-- Doug Price